- Buy Ingredients
- Top Tips
Vegan Black Bean Chili Recipe
I’ve spent years making vegan chili and honing my recipe to perfection. This black bean recipe is the result of that work. It’s colorful, nutritious, filling, and absolutely delicious. It’s a one-pot meal that cooks in 30 minutes, and you can adapt it to suit your own tastes or the ingredients you have at home.
Sometimes we all need a hug in a bowl, and my black bean chili recipe will deliver just that. It’s perfect for a weeknight dinner, or when you’re cooking for many mouths. It’s hearty, it’s nourishing, it’s colorful, and you can add as much spice as you like.
Chili originates from Northern Mexico and Southern Texas. Originally made with meat (“chili con carne”), vegetarian versions became popular in the US in the 1970s, with the rise of vegetarianism. Nowadays, it’s easy to make delicious vegan chili and I’m sharing with you my absolute favorite black bean chili recipe.
I’m one of those people who will eat hot sauce with just about anything, so I like to turn the heat up high! But, if you want a milder version of my black bean chili recipe, simply reduce the quantity of chili pepper.
It’s a great dish when you don’t have much food in the house, as the key ingredients are probably things you have hidden away in a cupboard somewhere. You can totally adjust the quantities I’ve given - I like lots of sweetcorn but you can skip it and use 2 cans of black beans instead.
It’s one of my go-to meals when I need something comforting but am short on time or energy. It’s also super affordable! Read on to learn how to make black bean chili, and you can thank me later.
There are plenty of tasty ways to adapt this black bean chili recipe if you fancy a change, or don’t have the right ingredients in your pantry. Here are some ideas:
- Substitute black beans with kidney beans or pinto beans, or use a combination of all three.
- Get creative with your veggies. Use multi-colored bell peppers, and add some diced zucchini or grated carrot.
- Lentils make a great alternative to - or addition to - black beans. Try throwing in some red lentils for extra fiber and a hint of sweetness.
- Add some finely diced tempeh to this black bean chili recipe for a bit of extra bite!
- Change up my black bean chili recipe as you like! Want less sweetcorn? No problem! More black beans? Go for it! There are no rules here.
Vegan Black Bean Chili Recipe
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Servings: 4
Here’s what you need:
- 1 can of black beans, drained
- 1 can of sweetcorn, drained
- 1 can of chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups vegan stock
- 1 white onion
- 2 bell peppers (any color will do - I like green and red)
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 jalapeno chili peppers
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 lime
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- Dice the onion and bell pepper, and finely chop the garlic and chili.
- Sauté the onion and bell pepper for 5-8 minutes until softened.
- Add the garlic and chili and cook for a further 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add the cumin and chili powder and cook for another 1 minute, until the spices are fragrant.
- Add the drained black beans, sweetcorn, can of tomatoes, and stock. Simmer, uncovered, for around 20 minutes.
- Squeeze in some lime juice and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Add your favorite garnishes and serve alone or with a side to mop it up! I’ve gone for tortilla chips on the side, and jalapenos, radish, cheese, scallions, and cilantro on top. Bon appetite!
My black bean chili recipe is just the beginning. You can take it further by adding a range of delicious toppings. Pop them all on the table and let your family or guests choose their own toppings! Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Chopped cilantro and scallions are a classic and bring a lovely cool freshness. Slices of avocado, jalapeno pepper, or crunchy radish are also great additions.
- Want some extra sauciness? Top your vegan black bean chili with vegan sour cream, guacamole, and/or salsa.
- Vegan cheese makes a luxuriously gooey topping that you won’t be able to resist.
- Want a bit of crunch? Crush some tortilla chips to sprinkle on top - a bit like nachos in reverse!
To Wrap It All Up...
I’m pretty sure my vegan black bean chili recipe will become a regular in your meal rotation. It’s so incredibly convenient and it packs in a huge amount of vitamins and other essential nutrients. You can put your own spin on it, and you can make it differently every time so you never get bored!
It's a favorite of my kids as well as my friends, I just turn down the heat if I’m giving it to the little ones! I love making a big batch on a Sunday and storing it in portion-sized containers that we can take to work or school.
You can pair it with rice or tortillas. Heat a tortilla or two in the microwave or toast them in a skillet, and get ready to do some dunking. How about some vegan black bean chili nachos? Top some tortilla chips with a generous portion of black bean chili, jalapenos, and vegan cheese shreds. Pop it in the oven until the cheese has melted.
Black bean chili is a simple pleasure that will never go out of style. Try my black bean chili recipe and let me know what you think!
Frequently Asked Questions
If you love this recipe…
Try these other easy vegan dinner ideas!
- Roasted Kabocha Squash With Orange Tahini Sauce
- Tomato Basil Soup With Sourdough Croutons
- General Tso’s Tofu
- Creamy Chickpea And Cauliflower Curry
- Baked Plant-Based Mac And Cheese
- Mexican Tortilla Lasagna
- Hearty Minestrone Soup
Share this recipe
Tried making this Black Bean Chili recipe? We want to see!
Tag @GoPlantX on Instagram.
Buy products in the recipe
Please choose options for all selected products: