- Buy Ingredients
- Top Tips
Looking for a quick and easy gravy that will please a crowd? Try this vegan mushroom gravy on for size. Showcasing the natural umami deliciousness of real mushrooms, this gravy is simple indulgence at its finest - and 8 servings can be whipped up in just 30 minutes!
As soon as October hits, there’s only one thing I want to eat… comfort food. My favorite comfort food? Gravy. Random I know, but for me, there’s nothing better than that thick oozy mix of hearty gravy flavor. And you bet I slather it onto anything I can get my hands on.
So, as a full-time gravy fan girl, it’s safe to say I’ve tried my fair share of gravies. And it’s no surprise that I’ve been using what I’ve learned to come up with the ultimate gravy recipe of my own…
Earthy. Woody. Aromatic. With its rich umami flavor, mushroom gravy is a cut above the rest, and this homemade mushroom gravy recipe is as good as it gets. Packed with classic mushroom and rosemary flavor with just a hint of crisp white wine, this gravy recipe keeps me coming back for more and I’m pretty sure it will hook you, too.
For this recipe, I’ve gone for classic flavors which I find always hit the spot. But one thing I love about this gravy is how easy it is to switch it up if you feel like it. Here are three ideas…
- Maximize the umami: vegan mushroom gravy already boasts rich umami flavors. However, you can never have too much of a good thing! Why not add a dash of tamari, or 2 tablespoons of miso paste to your gravy to add further depth and layers to this classic dish?
- Switch white wine for red: white wine brings a freshness to this mushroom gravy recipe, but rich food lovers may be looking for further depth. Why not add a swig of red wine instead? This will give this homemade mushroom gravy an even more luxurious twist, perfect for the depths of winter.
- Add some vegan cream: A classic mushroom gravy isn’t a bad thing, but a creamy sauce is never a bad idea either. Why not combine them? A dash of cream in this recipe will bring a fresh creaminess to this flavorful mix.
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Servings: 8 People
Here’s what you need:
- 3 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 small red or white onion (finely diced)
- 1 pound of mushrooms (thinly sliced, I prefer white or button mushrooms)
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- ½ tbsp dried rosemary or thyme (or 3 fresh rosemary sprigs)
- ¼ cup white wine
- 3 cups of vegetable broth or stock
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- In a large pan, fry the onion and the garlic with the butter on a medium heat for 3 minutes. Then add the mushrooms and the rosemary and saute until cooked.
- Stir in the flour and cook for a further minute.
- Add the white wine and the stock. Scrape off any brown bits that have formed at the bottom of the pan and stir into the mix.
- Bring the gravy to a simmer and allow it to thicken and then cook on a low heat for a further 15 minutes, or until your gravy reaches the desired consistency. If your gravy becomes too thick, add more stock. If your gravy is too thin, cook for longer or add more flour. Stir thoroughly to make sure no lumps of flour remain in the mix.
- Season with salt and pepper and stir. If using fresh rosemary, remove the sprigs before serving.
My top tips for making this homemade mushroom gravy tip top?
Firstly, keep it cooking! The more the gravy is cooked, the more the flavors will intensify, so leaving your gravy simmering on the hob on a low heat for up to an hour will never be a bad idea. Just remember to stir regularly!
My other tip? Avoid lumpy gravy by mixing your flour with a little water before adding it in. This will make a paste that will easily blend with the rest of your ingredients to make a yummy, lump-free gravy!
This vegan mushroom gravy recipe goes well with any classic dish that relies on a great gravy to make it shine. Whether it’s biscuits and gravy or a roast dinner, this homemade mushroom gravy will be a great addition. On top of this, this gravy is also a great addition to any sort of comfort food. Slop it onto some fries, or slather it onto mac and cheese… trust me, you won’t be disappointed!
To Wrap It All Up...So, there you have it! This vegan mushroom gravy recipe is a tasty winter warmer that’s guaranteed to keep tastebuds smiling. Whether you are making a soothing dinner for one or putting on a feast for the whole family, this mushroom gravy can easily be scaled up or down and doesn’t mind being stored in the freezer. Basically, it’s an all-rounder. So, get cooking!
Frequently Asked Questions
Buy products in the recipe
Please choose options for all selected products: