- Buy Ingredients
- Top Tips
Cauliflower Fish Wings Recipe
Been craving some juicy wings lately but couldn’t find an easy and equally good vegan recipe for it? Worry no more.
Let’s get some Cauliflower Fish Wings cooking. But don’t let the name cauliflower “fish” wings fool you. This cauliflower and fish recipe is delicious, healthy, and, most importantly, vegan. It’s bound to quench your cravings for some authentic fish wings and may tempt you to reach out to the bowl for more.
It's safe to say, this vegan cauliflower wings recipe is “the perfect vegan amalgamation of the traditional buffalo wings and fish wings recipe”, but instead of meat/chicken, we have cauliflower at its heart. It can also substitute for a healthy snack as the cauliflower is baked instead of deep-fried.
Once your batter is thick and ready, all you have to do is coat the cauliflower florets in it, pop it into your oven and wait for it to get crispy brown on the outside. The recipe just demands 20 minutes of your time, and then voila, you have this delicious vegan cauliflower and fish recipe that would make a perfect appetizer or a quick snack, all depending on your mood.
How do the cauliflower fish wings taste?
Let’s get real.
Cauliflower fish wings aren’t going to taste exactly like the traditional fish wings. Mainly because the chicken was substituted with a plant-based product - cauliflower - and cauliflower, as you know, doesn’t taste anything like chicken.
But does this vegan cauliflower wings recipe taste better, and will you go back for me after an initial taste?
For that, we give it a green flag.
When you bite into that cooked cauliflower fish wing floret, you can hear the crunch from the coating, and as you sink your teeth in, the cauliflower is still soft and has soaked up most of the flavor from the batter.
Further, the incorporation of nori sheets in this cauliflower and fish recipe gives it an umami, oceany taste that reminds you of the seafood flavor of the authentic fish wings. So even if you aren’t a vegan, you would keep wanting more of this cauliflower awesomeness.
Now let’s see what ingredients you need to get the batter done.
Cauliflower Fish Wings Recipe
- Category: Appetizers
- Prep Time: 60 minutes
- Servings: 6
Here’s what you need:
- 1 normal sized cauliflower head (if it's unusually large, double the following ingredients)
- 1 cup of water
- ½ cup of all-purpose flour (or any gluten-free flour - as per your preference)
- 1 tablespoon egg replacement (corn starch or aquafaba)
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- ½ tablespoon sweet paprika
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- Salt according to taste
- 36 ounces of nori sheets crushed (or use nori powder)
- Olive oil (or any other vegetable oil as per your liking)
- Pepper as per taste
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit or 200 degrees Celsius
- Take the cauliflower head, remove its leaves and stem and cut it into small florets as per your liking. For best results, cut it into bite sizes so it can soak up as much batter as possible.
- Crush the nori sheets with your hand, or simply use nori seaweed powder.
- Place the crushed nori sheets in a large bowl and add the flour, water, salt, egg replacement, and the spices mentioned above. The batter shouldn’t be too thick or too runny. Transfer the florets to the bowl and mix well.
- Keep the bowl aside and take out a baking tray. Line it with a baking sheet and spray some oil to avoid the wings from sticking to the paper.
- Once the tray is all prepped, transfer the well-coated florets to it with tongs. Make sure no excess batter gets transferred to the sheet.
- Pop it into the oven, and bake initially for 15 minutes. Take the tray out, and using a spatula, flip the florets and toss it into the oven for another 5 minutes.
Enjoy hot with vegan sauces or dressings of your liking.
A single serving of this vegan cauliflower and fish recipe contains only 137 calories and gives you 13.1 grams of protein. It's also low in fat and not fried. Therefore, it feels light on the stomach.
- Total Fat - 3.5g
- Saturted Fat - 0.6g
- Cholesterol - 0mg
- Sodium - 388mg
- Total Carbohydrated - 19.9g
- Dietary Fibers - 3g
- Total Sugars - 2.8g
- Protein - 13.1g
Buy products in the recipe
Please choose options for all selected products: