You might not have heard that January 24th is National Peanut Butter Day! That’s right - a whole day to celebrate our beloved PB. And what better way to celebrate than trying out some delicious vegan peanut butter recipes that are full of the golden good stuff?!
Whether you prefer chunky or smooth, we’ve got vegan peanut butter recipes to suit all tastes and for all occasions.
A true store cupboard staple, peanut butter is an essential addition to a vegan diet. It is packed with protein, healthy fats, and essential vitamins and minerals.
While other nut butters such as almond and cashew may have stolen some of the limelight, peanut butter remains a firm favorite amongst vegans across the country. So show peanut butter some love today, and try out our amazing recipes to celebrate National Peanut Butter Day.
Which peanut butter should I buy?
Unfortunately, many peanut butter brands today add sugar, trans fats and vegetable oils that can detract from peanut butter’s health benefits.
Luckily, here at PlantX, we are proud to stock a range of some of the healthiest vegan peanut butter around. And check out our amazing vegan baking section for even more plant-based goodies to help you on your way to pure peanut butter bliss.
On to the recipes…!
Vegan Peanut Butter Cups
These vegan peanut butter cups taste just like Reese’s (or better), plus they’re 100% cruelty-free! They make the perfect sweet treat to accompany your 10.30am coffee, or an energizing mid-afternoon pick-me-up. And with only 4 ingredients and no baking, this vegan peanut butter recipe couldn’t be easier to prepare!
Makes: 12 large cups or up to 20 small cups
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cooling Time: 30 mins - 2 hrs
Equipment: Mixing bowl, heat-safe bowl, chocolate mold or cupcake liners
- ½ cup of smooth peanut butter
- ¼ cup of powdered sugar
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1¼ cups of vegan dark chocolate chips, or vegan dark chocolate broken into small pieces.
- Combine the peanut butter, powdered sugar and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Mix to form a soft dough. If your peanut butter is very stiff, you can add a splash of plant milk to loosen it.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave in 20 second increments, or on the stove in a double boiler.
- Fill your molds or cupcake liners with enough melted chocolate to cover the bottom.
- Take a small piece of peanut dough and shape into a disc, a little smaller than the mold, so the chocolate can cover the edges.
- Place dough on top of chocolate, and then cover with more melted chocolate.
- Repeat until you run out of dough & chocolate.
- Place in the fridge to set for 30 mins or up to 2hrs depending on the size of the cups.
- Remove your vegan peanut butter cups from the molds.
- Enjoy as a delicious peanutty treat!
Vegan Peanut Butter Cookies
These melt-in-the-mouth cookies are soft, chewy and packed with peanut buttery goodness. Made with simple store cupboard ingredients, our Vegan Peanut Butter Cookies are perfect for making with your kids and getting them excited about National PB Day!
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cooking Time: 15 mins
Equipment: Cookie sheet, baking paper, mixing bowl, 1.5 tbsp cookie scoop.
- 1 cup smooth peanut butter
- ¾ cup organic cane sugar (or sub for your preferred sweetener)
- 6 tbsp of your preferred nut milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour - all-purpose, spelt, almond, or 1:1 GF blend
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Pinch of sea salt (check peanut butter is unsalted)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line the cookie sheet with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, combine peanut butter, sugar, plant milk & vanilla extract and mix until creamy.
- Add the flour, baking soda and salt. Mix to combine - you may need to use your hands (kids will love this part!).
- Once the dough is formed, use the cookie scoop to scoop 1.5 tbsp pieces of the dough and form into balls.
- Place the balls on the cookie sheet, 2½ inches apart and flatten with a fork.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes.
- Let cool for a few minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Enjoy crisp-on-the-outside, meltingly tender-on-the-inside peanut-tastic cookies!
Vegan Peanut Butter Energy Bites
This is the easiest vegan peanut butter recipe in our round-up. Even if you’re a kitchen klutz, we guarantee that you can’t go wrong with these 5 ingredient vegan peanut butter energy bites. Because peanuts are packed with plant protein and healthy fats, these yummy bites are the perfect post workout snack, or any-time treat to keep you feeling full and focused.
Makes: 15-20 balls
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cooling Time: 30 mins - 1hr
Equipment: Mixing bowl, 1.5 tbsp cookie scoop
- 1 cup crunchy unsweetened peanut butter
- ¼ cup of your favorite liquid sweetener - agave, maple syrup, coconut blossom nectar etc.
- 1½ cups of rolled oats
- ½ cup dairy-free dark chocolate chips
- Pinch of sea salt
- Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl until they form a firm batter
- Use the cookie scoop to divide into 1.5 tbsp pieces
- Roll into balls with your hands
- Place in an airtight container and refrigerate for 30 mins - 1hr
- Enjoy tasty energy-boosting bites whenever you fancy!
Thai-style Vegan Peanut Butter Sauce
This creamy, tangy and umami Thai-style vegan peanut butter sauce is delicious with noodles, as a dipping sauce for crispy tofu or a dressing for a crunchy Asian-style salad. Versatile, vibrant and packed with flavor, once you try this sauce, you’ll be slathering it on everything. Make double quantities and squirrel some away in the fridge for later - you won’t regret it!
Makes: 4-6 servings
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 5 mins
Equipment: Saucepan, wooden spoon
- ¼ cup unsweetened slightly crunchy OR smooth peanut butter
- ¼ water or coconut milk
- 2 tbsp soy sauce (or GF alternative such as coconut aminos)
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp sugar or your preferred sweetener
- A few drops of hot sauce
- Gather all of the ingredients and add to a small saucepan.
- Simmer over a low heat for 5 minutes.
- Stir until all ingredients are combined and the sauce is smooth and creamy.
- Remove from heat and leave to cool.
- Serve with your favorite Asian-inspired meals or snacks and enjoy!
This flavorful sauce will keep for up to 7 days if stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
[Image credit: J. Kenji Lopez-Alt]
Vegan Peanut Butter & Sweet Potato Soup
This hearty and wholesome vegan peanut butter recipe is one of our top favorite soups. Packed with delicious fiber, protein, healthy fats and essential vitamins and minerals, it’s a nourishing complete meal in a bowl. Perfect for cold nights, serve this satisfying soup with warm crusty bread and a dollop of coconut yoghurt.
- 2 tbsp your preferred cooking oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 1 inch piece of ginger, peeled & grated
- 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled & cubed
- 1 14 oz can coconut milk
- 1 14 oz can chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups veggie stock
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp curry powder
- ½ cup crunchy peanut butter
- 1-2 cups kale, chopped & tough stems removed
- Cilantro, sliced jalapeno & chopped peanuts to garnish
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and fry the onion for 10 mins or until soft.
- Add the garlic, ginger & jalapenos and gently fry until fragrant.
- Add the sweet potatoes and stir until they are coated in the oil & aromatics.
- Add the coconut milk, tomato and veggie stock and bring to the boil.
- Simmer until the sweet potatoes are soft and tender.
- Add the peanut butter and kale and stir until thick and creamy.
- Serve in large bowls and garnish with chopped cilantro, chopped roasted peanuts & sliced jalapenos.
- Enjoy a hearty bowl of delicious plant-powered goodness!
So, that’s a wrap on our 5 amazing vegan peanut butter recipes. We hope you’re as nuts about them as we are! Don’t forget to check out our selection of the healthiest peanut butters. Our tasty peanut butters are better for you and better for the planet and perfect for any one of our peanut-packed recipes.
Be sure to tag us on Instagram @goplantX to show us your PB-eautiful creations!