Vegetable Stock IngredientsIt doesn’t take much to create a great vegetable stock; all you’ll need for your base are 3 traditional ingredients found in most stocks, even chicken or beef stock.
- 3 Celery
- 1 Onion
- 1 lb. Carrots
Making A Flavorful Vegetable Stock
- Place your diced onions and garlic into a large stockpot over medium-low heat for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring until the onions brown. Add your carrots and celery, stirring occasionally, and cook until your veggies are tender and browning. Be careful not to let your vegetables blacken or else your stock will become bitter
- While your veggies are cooking, place your dried shiitake in hot water to rehydrate them.
- After allowing them to steep for 30 minutes, add them to the stockpot with your browned veggies. Add 5 cups of water and take your stock to a roiling boil.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool. Strain your broth into a large bowl with a fine-mesh strainer and press the excess liquid out of your veggies.
- Season your stock with salt, dried or fresh herbs, and enjoy.
- One extra step you can take if you are trying to get more vegetables into your children’s plant-based diet is blending your vegetables into a liquid to add them back into the stock afterward.