- Buy Ingredients
- Top Tips
Homemade Falafel Pitas Recipe
Homemade Falafel Pitas Recipe
- Category: Lunch
- Prep Time: 2 minutes
- Servings: 4
Here’s what you need:
- 1 15oz can of Cadia Garbanzo Beans
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley (or sub cilantro)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium shallots, minced (or sub 3/4 cups white onion)
- 2 tbsp raw sesame seeds (or sub for finely chopped nut, such as pecans)
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin or to taste
- 1/4 tsp sea salt and black pepper or to taste
- 1 pinch of cardamom and coriander
- 3 to 4 tbsp of all-purpose flour ( sub for oat flour or gluten-free flour with varied results)
- 3 to 4 tbsp avocado oil or your preferred neutral oil
- 4 Pita breads
- 1/3 cup of hummus
- 1 to 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp of dill, dried or freshly minced
- HUMMUS DILL SAUCE PREPARATION
- Prepare your sauce by adding hummus, lemon juice, dill to a small mixing bowl, starting with 1 Tbsp (15 ml // or the lesser end of the range if altering batch size) lemon juice. Whisk to combine. Then add only enough water to thin so it’s pourable but still thickened.
- Taste and adjust flavor as needed. Add lemon juice for acidity, and dill for a more intense herb flavor. Depending on the hummus you use, you may want to add a pinch of salt.
- FALAFEL PREPARATION
- Add chickpeas, parsley, shallot, garlic, sesame seeds, salt, pepper (and coriander and cardamom if using) to a food processor or blender and mix/pulse to combine, scraping down sides as needed until thoroughly combined. You’re looking for a crumbly dough, not a paste.
- Add flour 1 Tbsp (~8 g) at a time and pulse/mix to combine until no longer wet and you can mold the dough into a ball without it sticking to your hands - I used 4 Tbsp.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as needed, adding more salt and pepper to your preference.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl, cover, and refrigerate for 1-2 hours to firm up. If you’re in a hurry you can chill in the freezer for 45 minutes or skip this step - but they will be a little more fragile when cooking.
- Once chilled, scoop out rounded Tablespoon amounts (30 g in weight) and gently form into 11-12 small rounded discs.
- Sprinkle on panko bread crumbs and gently press to adhere onto your falafel discs- flip and repeat. This will produce a crispier falafel, but it's optional.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add enough oil to generously coat the pan - about 2 Tbsp (30 ml). Swirl to coat.
- NOTE: If not cooking all of the falafel right away, FREEZE uncooked falafel between layers of parchment paper and store in a container in the freezer for up to 1 month. Then just thaw and cook as instructed!
- OPTIONAL: For even crispier falafel, bake in a 400 degree F (204 C) oven for 5-10 minutes after pan frying (either on a baking sheet or your skillet if it's oven-safe)!
- Serve warm with the garlic-dill sauce inside a pita with desired toppings or atop a bed of greens – I used heirloom tomatoes and lettuce.
If you love this recipe…
Buy products in the recipe
Please choose options for all selected products: