Vegetarian Black Bean Burger Recipe
The coming of summer means a lot of different things to different people; beach days, camping, summer blockbuster films, and the outdoor grilling season! For most people, this brings to mind hamburgers, hot dogs, steaks, and various other meat products. At PlantX, we know that enjoying your grill doesn’t have to be limited by your vegan or vegetarian lifestyle, so we’d like to share a great recipe for black bean burgers with you! These vegetarian black bean burgers are easy to make, healthy, satisfying, and delicious. Our recipe also includes a couple of steps to ensure that your black bean burgers aren’t mushy, which can be a common complaint when it comes to bean-based burgers. If you find yourself without the time to make your own tasty plant-based meals, then consider a meal delivery service!
- 2 (14 ounces) cans of black beans, drained, rinsed, allowed to dry
- 1 tbsp oil (olive oil, avocado, or your favorite)
- ¾ cup finely chopped bell pepper (roughly 1/2 of a pepper)
- 1 tbsp of garlic, minced (approximately 3 cloves)
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion (or about 1/2 of an onion)
- 1 and ½ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ cup bread crumbs (regular or gluten-free)
- ½ cup feta cheese (omit if vegan)
- 2 large eggs (replace with ⅓ cup mashed sweet potato if vegan)
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce (use soy sauce if vegan)(gluten-free? Try liquid aminos!)
- 2 tbsp of your choice of ketchup, mayo, or barbecue sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
How to Make Black Bean Burgers
- Preheat your oven to 163°C (325°F). Spread the rinsed, drained, and dry beans out onto a baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes, until dried out a bit.
- While beans dry, saute your bell pepper, onion, and garlic in olive oil heated over a medium flame for 6 minutes, or until softened.
- Place sauteed aromatics in a food processor with your spices, feta, bread crumbs, eggs, and pulse until it comes together.
- Add black beans, then continue to pulse or mix with a fork for a thicker texture.
- Form finished mixture into patties with about ⅓ cup of the mix for each burger.
- Place a sheet of aluminum foil onto your grill, place the burger patties on it, and grill on medium-high heat for about 8 minutes. Top with your favorite burger toppings and enjoy!
With this vegetarian black bean burger recipe, you’ll be ready to have a plant-based grilling feast! If you need something to wash it down with, we recommend Zola Coconut Water. All you’ll need to add are some classic barbecue sides and some grilled fruit and vegetables like pineapple, peach, corn, and zucchini.