Sweet and Spicy Carrot Bacon Recipe
If you haven’t heard about this latest vegan recipe craze, then you are missing out on a delicious snack and topping that’s simple and easy to make on your own! When the folks at PlantX heard about carrot bacon, we jumped at the opportunity to bring you our take on this tasty treat.
Now you may be asking yourselves, okay, I may be plant-based, but even I don’t know about how close to “bacon” a carrot can be. We get it. But that’s why we are here to give a step by step guide on this easy recipe that you can use for some healthy snacking or as a topping on other great meals. Plus, there’s always room for taking this recipe in your own direction with customizations. Whether it’s sweet or savory, PlantX wants to hear about what you think about carrot bacon! Here’s everything you will need to get started.
- Two or more Medium-sized Carrots
- 1 Tbsp of Maple Syrup
- 1 Tsp of Almond Butter
- ¼ Tsp of Smoked Tabasco
- A pinch of salt
Carrot Bacon Instructions
1 . Start this recipe off by preheating your oven to 350F/176C.
2. Peel your carrots before slicing in a mandoline. You can always use a potato peeler or a knife to get your carrots as thin as possible if a mandoline isn’t available. About 1/6th of an inch is what you should be aiming for! This will allow your carrot to get a beautiful crispy curl to it.
3. Place your sliced carrots on either a parchment-lined baking sheet or some aluminum foil.
4. Combine your maple syrup, almond butter, and smoked Tabasco in a small bowl. Use a silicone brush to coat both sides of the carrots with your mixture. You can also pour over directly and coat with your hands.
5. Sprinkle your carrots with a pinch of salt before placing your baking sheet in the oven for 9-11 minutes. Make sure to flip your carrots halfway through in order to get a nice even crisp.
6. Allow your carrots to cool and voila! You have a perfect snack “bacon” to munch on while working or a lovely sweet and spicy topping for a sandwich or burger. Here we’ve used our carrot bacon as a garnish on a vegan burger with a tofu patty.
That’s it! Now it’s time to enjoy the crispy fruits, or in this case veggies, of your labor. If you decide to make this recipe, tag us on social media and let us know how it turned out or if you have any customization ideas for YOUR carrot bacon! Check out more of our recipes on our recipe section for more healthy and delicious meal ideas.