Course Dinner, Lunch, Main, tapas
Keyword Rocoto, Tacos, vegan minced meat
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 12 tacos
- 1/2 red onion ground
- 1/2 red onion sliced (keep separated)
- 1/2 large carrot ground
- 16 oz vegan minced meat
- 1 cup black beans drained
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 2 tsp fresh Peruvian rocoto pepper, ground or to taste, it's very hot!
- 1 tbsp Cholula sauce (or other hot sauce)
- 1 cup tomato sauce add more if the mix is too dry
- 1 tsp sugar
- olive oil, salt, pepper
- 1. Warm two spoons olive oil in a large skillet and pan fry the ground onion, carrot and rococo pepper for about 10 minutes, or until tender.
- 2. When ready, place the minced meat in the pan and cook 10 minutes more, stirring frequently.
- 3. Add black beans, tomato sauce, cholula sauce, cilantro, salt and pepper to taste. Stir to combine and cook 5 minutes longer.
- 4. Warm a smaller skilled with one spoon olive oil and gently pan fry the sliced onion and the tsp sugar for 5/7 minutes, or until lightly caramelized.
- 5. When the ingredients are ready assemble the tacos: place the shells on a board, fill with one portion of the meat mix and top with a few slices of sweet onion.
- 6. Serve hot with pico de Gallo, guacamole or side dishes of choice.