Making The Best Vegan Bacon Recipe
If you’re living plant-based and have been craving the sweet and savory taste of bacon then have no fear, PlantX is here! We’ve brought you one of our favorite vegan bacon recipes alongside a couple of ways to enjoy this tasty treat. Whether you enjoy it on its own or in a BLT, this vegan bacon recipe is a surefire way to hit those bacon cravings.
You can also check out our other blog for a sweet and spicy carrot bacon recipe that’s great for topping burgers or as a crispy afternoon snack.
Vegan Bacon Recipe with Rice Paper
8 Pieces of Rice Paper (the same kind used for spring rolls)
4 tablespoons of Nutritional Yeast
6 tablespoons tamari or coconut liquid aminos
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1 tablespoon garlic powder
4 tablespoons olive oil
½ teaspoon liquid smoke or 1 tablespoon bbq sauce
½ teaspoon crushed black pepper
½ teaspoon of paprika
- First, preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place two baking sheets onto your counter and line them with parchment paper.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together all of your ingredients aside from the rice paper to make your bacon marinade.
- Place 3 sheets of rice paper on top of one another and dip into a bowl of water until slightly softened. Cut your layered rice paper into strips about the width of your average slice of bacon.
- Dip your rice paper strips into your marinade until coated on both sides before placing onto a baking sheet.
- Do this with the rest of your strips, whisking the marinade every so often to prevent separation.
- Place your rice paper strips into the oven and bake for 7 minutes, or until your bacon is crisp. Don’t step away for too long because the strips can burn easily!
- Remove from the baking sheet right away and enjoy in your favorite sandwiches, burgers, or crumble over salad.
This marinade can also be used to give a bacon-y flavor and coating to other of your favorite plant-based ingredients like shitake mushrooms and crumbled tofu! No one is immune to the calling of bacon, but there are plenty of ways to enjoy the smokey, sweet, and savory flavors of this meat in ways that are perfect for plant-based eaters. You’ll be surprised at the number of ways you can enjoy this vegan bacon recipe with just a little bit of creativity.